Last summer a friend and I went on an embroidery course run by the Royal School of Needlework in Hampton Court on the outskirts of London. It was an excellent day where I learned some stitches i didn’t know already and how to start and finish and generally embroider the Royal School of Needlework way! Don’t get me wrong…I will never be as good as the graduates of the School who often go on to work on royal wedding dresses and other such things but it was certainly interesting to get an insight into how they worked.
On the day I started a piece of embroidery that I got to take away to finish…and earlier this year I finished it…ok I know it should not have taken quite that long but i have a lot of things going on at the same time.
Here is the finished product…
Now I have to figure out the best way to mount and display it in my house 🙂
next project based on these new skills is to design my own piece of embroidery. I am thinking
embroidered versions of patterns like this…this will take some thinking about..
that is making books…not the type that leads to money changing hands in relation to fast moving horses and suchlike…
Anyway on to the real point of this. I have been trying some more things…no actually i have been trying the same things some more…
the first thing is making fabric art bracelets. the last one i posted was for me and I have been wearing it it is getting a little bit frayed and worn, which is not a bad thing it looks quite intentional so that is ok but i decided to refine the process of making them as I enjoyed making it.
So here are the results, this one was entirely fabric not based on leather like mine…I was in a slightly orange mood…
It is difficult to show the texture but i tried:
I have put this one up in my new Extemporise Folksy shop…I just hope someone loves it as much as loved making it 🙂 http://folksy.com/items/4396105-cuff-bracelet-in-orange-and-neutral-fabrics-and-laces
The second new craft i revisited recently is making books, I wanted to cement my new hand sewn book skills and try out some ideas i had for a fabric cover. this one is the same construction as the last one, with hand stitched pages sewn around slips to allow the cover to move. I forgot to take pictures of the process as i do it…but i promise I will on the next one.
I still need practice in both of these crafts, but i am having lots of fun learning 🙂
New skills was what this weekend was all about. I went on a course to learn how to make hand sewn books. It was at the Weald and Downland Museum (http://www.wealddown.co.uk) in Sussex and was run by a very knowledgeable woman called Gaynor from the Blue door Bindery (http://www.blue-door-bindery.co.uk).
we learned how to fold paper into sections and how to make sure it is folded in the right direction…right direction i hear you repeat quizzically…well..yes…I didn’t know this before i wend on the course but paper has a grain based on the direction of the fibres within it. It is important when making books to have these running from head to foot (top to bottom), although i am unclear as to what happens if you don’t. and might make on the other way round to find out but that is besides the point!
we learned how to make these folded sections into a text block and to sew them (along with the end papers) both to each other and to long strips of material called slips which help to hold the whole thing together and move backward and forward within the cover to allow the book to open out. Here are some pictures of the text block (or pages ;-)) and end papers all sewn together and the slips in place
once all this was done we put the covers on , they were glued to the end pieces but no glue was on the spine at all, this allows it to open out completely flat. It was quite a tricky process as we had to slit the cover to weave the slips through…i believe this is decorative and not structural.
The finished product:
This is the book as we took it away from the course, I think i may need to add some extra finishing touches, the top and bottom edges of the leather need finishing i think and i am slightly unsure of the visible slips so these might get covered.
All in all I am pleased, I have learned new skills and am looking forward to adapting them and using them in my own way…I feel a lot more book coming on 😀